Thursday, March 23, 2006

Up and Over, times 4

So today 3 of us went out on a bike ride we like to call the quadruple bypass. There's a nice ridge near here that has some steep roads on it, with a 4 way intersection right at the top. Its always rewarding to get to go down the hill you just struggled to go up, but I have to say, it was a little cold today. I also decided to try wearing my HR strap on my back this time too. I think it works a lot better, normally with conditions like today, I would have gotten lots of false readings, but I don't see any this time.

I have to say, doing this ride already this early in the season, I'm pretty surprised with myself. It didn't feel nearly as bad as I remember it being last year. Maybe that's because I went up Millers Gap road twice already, and its grade makes this thing seem like a speed bump. I've decided Millers gap is as bad as I can handle right now, and these hills (sterrets gap) are just annoying. I probably could have gotten a better workout than I did, but I held back a little, mostly because I wasn't certain how the other legs of the climbs were going to be.

Mark couldn't make it out to ride with us because of a meeting, so he went out and rode our little TT course that we made up. I'm proud to announce that he didn't beat me (he's all bark anyway, Dog owners are like that). Granted, he was only slower by about 30 seconds, so I'll have to work to keep the title. I look forward to the friendly challenge this season. Especially when its warmer and the wind dies down. Good job Mark, not get that GPS unit working so we can dot race on motion based!

No comments: