Tuesday, February 28, 2006

<rant>Sigh</rant>

So just when you think the weather is going to start to turn for the better, and that spring will soon be on its way, it gets freezing cold. Then has the nerve to snow at night in such a manner that the cars running over the fresh powder snow causes a sheet of ice to form on the roads. Not only does this make my night miserable because of all the people who don't know how to drive carefully, it also causes the highway department to put more salt on the roads! Arrrgggg

Fortunately, the salt doesn't seem to be on too thick, at least on the roads I have view of outside my work window. Though, it was slick enough coming in this morning, I'm not sure they salted this road at all. I have an erie suspicion that other roads might be a different story. Maybe since they (the highway dept.) weren't prepared for it, they only salted the main roads, and didn't get to any of the side roads that I bike on a lot. Guess I'll have to take the long way home tonight and inspect.

On another note people, if the roads are icy.... SLOW DOWN.... for crying out loud. If you see vehicles smashed into jersey barriers, or in ditches along side of the road, its probably icy there. Further more, if you see big fire trucks with bright flashy red lights, there are probably firefighters walking around too! SLOW DOWN! We had a multi-car (more than 2) accident on a bridge that was iced over last night, with cars on the shoulders of both sides of the road. Crazy people flying through the accident scene at 50+ mph, with state police, and big fire trucks there all over the place. Granted, I feel that there could have been a better effort to give the traffic a fair warning to slow down. But in my opinion, they shouldn't have been driving like that in that weather to begin with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, june?!?! your not even gonna wait for me?
-Jm

Gerrit said...

hehe, no, I'm not going to the ADK's in June... did that once, wasn't good remember? No, taking a bunch of kids from church to Shanendoah National Park for a small journey, it will in now way compare to the ADK's... Beside , I gotta get in shape, since you are doing all that PT stuff ;)