Tuesday, April 01, 2008

the "Prone" position

We are well underway on the boat again, headed back to Punta Arenas Chile. We've hit open waters as of last night. I had decided at the beginning
of the trip that I would see if I could handle the waves without drugs on the way back. I was mad at myself for getting seasick on the way down, and figured that it was mostly my fault because I was staring at a computer screen for so long when the sea got really rough. My colleague, Sue had explained to me that we are either prone to get seasick, or not, and there isn't much you can do about it, other than medicate. I had refused to accept that, and wanted to take the mind over matter approach.

I should have listened to her. I was fine all night laying down, and falling asleep for 5 or so minute intervals. It's hard to actually fall asleep when you have to hang on to something so you don't fall out of bed. I got up to try and take a shower, and didn't last 15 minutes... Back to laying down again. I managed to get a hold of the ship's EMT who has protocols for distributing scopolamine (aka the patch) and got some of that, which is what has allowed me to eat, and type this up. Being upright for long durations still doesn't present me with the greatest of feelings though. From the sounds of it though, a lot of people are a lot worse off than I am. Including my roommate. Poor guy has the patch, and he's still losing his food.

I will not miss this portion of the trip. Hopefully we'll get into protected waters late tomorrow, as we sail around the Atlantic side of the tip of South America. I have been up to the bridge to see our progress today. Oh well. I realize the formating of this post is probably screwed up, so I'll try and fix it when I get internet connectivity, again, which won't be until at least April 4th.

(Update, made it back to land safely, and fixed the formating of this post. April 4th, 2008)

No comments: