Tuesday, April 08, 2008

the Dinner Scene Improves

So it certianly appears that the secret to finding the good food around here, is to eat when the good restaurants are actually open. Most restaurants don't open until around 1930 around here. I was quite hungry by the time we were ready to head out to eat. Its a good thing we had plans to goto a nice restaurant. Needless to say, I was finally satisfied with a meal down here. We ate at Puerto Viejo. The place seemed very clean, and the staff were super friendly. In fact ,the waiter, René, really made the evening special, telling us stories and describing the food for us. Now, I'm not normally in the habit of taking pictures of places I eat, or the food I'm eating, but I thought it would be kinda fun. I was so excited to find good food too, I had to share.


Here's a picture of the "spit" that they cook the Cordero (lamb) on. It smelt wonderful. Upon entering the restaurant, René was very happy to direct us towards the kitchen and this large spit to take our pictures of us pretending to slice up the meat. The wood smelt like it might have had some type of cedar logs in it, but I'm not 100% sure. The menu was varied, with wonderful offerings of several seafood selections, as well as filets of beef, and of course, the Cordero, which I just had to try. The Cordero was served as 3 courses, each from a different part of the beast.


The first courses was from the rib section. The meat was very moist, and had the most smoky flavor of them all. It was explained to us, to use our fingers and eat everything but the bones. I gladly obliged. Afterwards, a bowl of warm water and lemon slices was brought out to wash our greasy fingers in.


Second Course was the leg, and probably my favorite. It was the most moist of all selections. Unfortunately, it probably was least flavorful in terms of smoke and seasoning, but the tenderness and moisture made up for it. This piece was probably the most similar to lamb in flavor that I'm used to having


3rd course was the loin. This had lots of potential. My piece was a bit too dry for my liking, but it had excellent flavor none the less. Someone else was also eating this meal with me, and his portion looked a little more moist. I suspect the loins become exposed the way its splayed out on the spit thing, which is what may cause them to dry out. Its also closer to the fire.


I was stuffed by the end, but I couldn't leave this place without having dessert. It just didn't seem right. No one else wanted dessert, but I forced them all into it with my choice. A selection of 5 of the desserts offered. Don't ask me what they all where, as I don't remember. All I know is that my favorite one was the Calafate Sour Mousse. A Calafate Sour is a local drink made of Calafate juice, Pisco, and egg white, I believe. Its pretty yummy, and they happen to make a mousse out of that, equally yummy.

So that was my night, and now its past my bed time, and my food is still digesting. Not a feeling I like to goto bed on. Oh well.

2 comments:

hippo chick said...

Hi Gerit,

Linda Haak sent me your blog address. I've been looking back at your older posts. Love your pics. Drop in and see me at my blog sometime. I'll be reading yours. I think it's so exciting that you are on this job.

Pam Wolfanger

Anonymous said...

You've got quite a range on your blog from seasickness to lamb on the spit. Appreciated your descriptions of the texture, appearance and aroma of the lamb. :-) PA