Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Life at Sea

Not too much to report today... The scenery is pretty much all the same, lots of water around. About the only thing that varies is the visibility, due to haze, etc. There's always a few random birds flying around the boat, but that's not terribly exciting either..

I didn't get much sleep last night. Pretty much all day Yesterday and into this morning we were having 15-20 foot swells, and 30+ knot winds. This caused to boat to rock almost 30 degrees to port or starboard, for a total close 60 degrees of motion in one cycle. The captain says we have to roll 60 degrees completely to one side before we tip over, which helped my worries. Fortunately, my seasickness has subsided and I don't really notice the movement anymore, unless its severe enough to make chairs and other things to fall over. You can't not notice that. Most stuff on board is secured well, but it seems there's always something.

As a result of the rolling, I can't say I slept all that well. I'm on the top bunk, and on the big rolls, I would start to slide off the bed. That made for a long night. The swells should be quite a bit calmer in a few hours as we approach the Antarctic Peninsula and the islands near it. Last I heard, only 19 hours to go, before we reach Palmer Station. Overall, I'd have to say this has been a cool trip so far. I think my favorite place to be, in the boat, is on the bridge. Lots of ambient light is let in through all the windows there, which is always good for
the spirit, and it's fun to talk to the mates.

The reality of where I am, I don't think has sunk into my head much, perhaps that'll change when we arrive on station tomorrow. Oh well. I've got a bunch of pictures ready to upload too, so that should get done sometime tomorrow as well. They aren't really full of action per say, but you should get an idea of where I've been, and what I've seen so far.

No comments: