Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Top 5 Restaurants in Christchurch, NZ

I've spent more time in Christchurch, NZ that I had originally intended to. As a result I've had the opportunity to sample several of the restaurants within walking distance of the Heritage Hotel, which is located on Cathedral Square, in down town Christchurch. Several of these restaurants certainly stand out in my mind as ones I would certainly love to return to, and a few that I have. Listed in no particular order.
  1. Octagon Live - This place, is far and above my favorite restaurant here. Likely mostly because of the atmosphere it provides. Don't get me wrong, the food here is great, but they have live music, to go with it. It's mostly in the form of either piano, organ, or guitar, with the occasional vocal accompaniment. The restaurant is setup in an old church building, and houses a 1400+ pipe organ that is older than the building is (by only a few years), which dates back to the mid/late 1800's. The service there is very good, but my American standards is certainly not speedy. In my opinion though, its not needed. You should go there expecting the experience, not to get in, eat a meal, and get out. Everyone is very friendly, and the host (whom I think is the owner) is very willing to share a story with you. It's certainly not a cheap meal, but I don't believe its unreasonable giving there's live musicians playing. Make reservations (bookings, as they say in NZ) ahead of time, is it pretty much seems, once the tables are filled, there's no hope of waiting for someone to finish their meal and leave. There's a lot more I could say about this place, but simply put... My favorite, a must if your in the area, especially with a significant other.
  2. Strawberry Fare - The name of this place gives away its specialty. Dessert! But it doesn't skimp on the main course either. I had my doubts when I first walked in. It seemed rather "diner-esque" in setup. Looks can be deceiving though. The menu here was top notch as well, offering a wide variety of dishes and drinks. Make sure to leave room for dessert though. I had a piece of chocolate cake that was soaked in raspberry syrup, with a chocolate frosting and a raspberry glaze on top of that. For those of you who know me, you can probably understand how much I enjoyed this. I might have to go back tonight, before I leave for good. Service was excellent. I would also recommend a booking here as well if you wish to have full service. The place quickly filled up with people, and there was a line when we left. The only drawback I see of this place, is it did get really crowded inside, and became quite loud. If you are looking for a quiet romantic evening, this probably isn't it. Get the dessert 'for takeaway' (that's how they say "to go" down here)
  3. Cook-n-With Gas - This place is like a little house they converted into a restaurant, and a top notch one at that. The food here was absolutely superb, and they had a very extensive spirit, beer, and wine list. The wait staff was always on the ball, despite how busy it seemed, and the atmosphere was nice. The "compartments" created by the rooms never have you feeling that the place is packed and busy, even though it was. There are plenty of accoutrement's on the walls to liven up the place and provide atmosphere as well. Bookings are also recommended for this place.
  4. Cafe Roma - My favorite place for breakfast (they only server breakfast and lunch). The restaurant seems kind of tucked away, and if you are walking next to the building you may not realize you are walking past a restaurant. Its up off street level a bit, but is on the first floor of the building, best I can tell. It required you to ascend some stairs, go through a very large set of wooden doors and hang a left to get to. Upon entering, you find yourself in what could have once been a sort of living room. Its not terribly large, and there is a fireplace against the far wall with some chairs and a couch around it for those there to just enjoy some coffee. There are also some tables cantilevered out of the windows for a couple to enjoy the view that overlooks the Avon river that flows through town. Wait staff are very friendly, food is served piping hot and soon after ordered, and is obviously made from very fresh ingredients. Every time I've gone here I've been asked if I have a booking, as if most people are expected to have one, but had never had to wait to get a seat.
  5. The Tap Room - This place was well enjoyed because of one style of dish in particular, that I've never run across before. They call them "stone grills." It's probably about an 8 inch square stone, maybe 1.5 - 2 inches thick that has been heated to some insanely hot temperature. You then get to choose the meat of your choice to put on it (I had Kangaroo and Wild boar). The dish comes out with the hunk of raw meat(s) sizzling away on the stone. Its up to you how you want your own meat cooked. I took the strategy of searing the whole thing, then cutting little slices off the big chunk and cooking them. It was a fun experience. This place seems to get packed during peak eating hours too, so I would either recommend showing up at opening time, or making a booking.
Runners up
  • Bailies - The only place I found that serves Kilkenny beer. If you've not had the opportunity to have some, and are in the area, I recommend stopping by for a pint.
  • Drexels - This place only serves breakfast, and you often need a booking to get in, especially during peak hours. The food excellent and well worth the price.

No comments: