Saturday, February 02, 2008

Get Smart and Help the Hungry

I've run across a website yesterday, that I am enjoying quite a bit. Some might say I have even grown slightly addicted to it. This website helps you out with your vocabulary skills. It presents you with a word, and then gives you 4 other words that are synonyms for it. Your goal is to choose the correct one. For every 3 that you get right, you move up a level, and it starts presenting you with harder words, and some of them are certainly obscure. For every one you get wrong, it drops you down a level. Here's the best part though, for every word you get right, they donate 20 grains of rice through the UN to help stop world Hunger. I'm sure they don't actually count the grains. Its probably more like 100 grains = 1 gram or something like that, and they go by weight.

You can also set an option to let it save your statistics (through a cookie) so you can track how you are doing. I'm not sure why its so fun... I hated English class in school. Its interesting to see how high up in the levels you can get when you sit down with someone else and play together too. I encourage all of you to go over to freerice.com and start playing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Okay, you hooked me. Could not resist trying it out. Got to '43' and then seemed to start going backwards. Fun, though.